Monday, June 4, 2007

Bankrupt!

The good news
At various occasions in my life I have been in the financial red district, but never at a position where I had to say “I’ve no way to pay this all off”. In fact I haven’t even come close to that situation (Praise the Lord!).

The bad news
Today I heard that my client company (Amp’d Mobile) has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in U.S. How does it feel when you are bankrupt? How about owning a lot of money to a whole load of people? I am just another techie who is hardly (in fact not at all!) affected by this bankruptcy, but I seriously hope that they can pull out of this one.

Working with them for 9 months has forged a small mental attachment in me to the company. I know a few people who work there directly and a few more indirectly. Mostly lower management and engineers. Guys who are good enough to get another job and I hope that they get it!

It was only a week since my project ended. It was actually supposed to go on for another 2 months. I should have smelled a rat there. But having this rosy picture in mind about all clients being stinking rich and on the path of making even more green bucks, I was in for a rude shock. Most probably, the guy dealing with the client got wind of the impending implosion and cut losses by pulling out a.s.a.p.

Anyways this has been a rather different experience for me and one that I hope wont repeat!

No comments: